Saturday, November 3, 2007

Thank you.

Thank you, two simple words that I never expected to hear but made me feel so good. I was at Ghetto Mart this evening picking up a couple items. I usually try to avoid this particular store like the plague. If you live in my area you know the place. Anyways they had a Slipper Tree for our Children's Hospital. They were asking customers to purchase a pair of slippers and then donate them to the hospital so the kids there could have warm feet while they travel through the halls while there. The hospital is has such great play areas too, play rooms for the kids, computers, game systems, toys, blocks you get the picture. So I buy a pair albeit a cheap one, I actually felt guilty for not shelling out the extra $3.00 for a character one but money is tight here as it is. And it is the thought that counts right?

So I go to the check out and over to the greeter where the sign said to turn in the slippers. The greeter was clueless about this Slipper Tree thing. He had no clue as to what I was talking about. (Way to go Wal Mart, way to train and inform your employees about store going ons). He took them from me and placed them on the table they always have there for lose change donations for the hospital. The security guard stationed at the door observed all of this and walked over to me. He had the sweetest look on his face and his eyes were shining, "Excuse me ma'am", he said "you just bought those slippers for some kid you don't know? You're just giving them away like that?" I told him yes, he then placed his hand on my shoulder and said "thank you, you are going to make some child very happy, God bless that child and you too ma'am, I wish there were more people out there like you". I actually teared up at his words, I didn't do this for any sort of recognition, I just wanted to do a little something to help out the hospital. It made me feel warm and fuzzy inside, I wish that I could do more, give more. But that guards words turned the shitty day that I was having into a great one.

2 comments:

Minnesota Hotdish said...

That's great Neen.
Nice to get those warm fuzzies when you aren't expecting them.

Theoretical Grammatarian said...

What a nice thing to do, and how sweet that security guard was! It's so rare to actually make a human connection with a stranger these days, and when it happens, it really can turn even the crappiest of days around.